The boob job just keeps growing in popularity. Statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons show that breast augmentations were the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure in 2018. Women in their 20s and 30s are the age demographic most likely to undergo breast augmentation. About 47% of breast augmentation patients are between ages of 19-35. Women aged 36-50 -38%. 12 % 51-64. 65 or older-2%. The increase in popularity coincides with national trend of cosmetic procedures in general. In Hollywood, you don’t have to look far to see the obvious. Kate Hudson got a new pair for her 31st birthday. When Mariah Carey started her career in 1993, she sported a B-cup. And now? Did you see the American Billboard Music Awards? How low-cut can you go? Even Victoria Beckham got ‘em, although like so many other celebs vehemently denies it. Hey, before and after’s never lie. It might seem like a Kardashian butt is where it’s at these days, but a perky pair of boobs is far from out of style. So if you’re considering getting a boob job, you’re far from alone.
Sizing Up The Benefits Of Boob Jobs
For many women, flat’s just not where it’s at. Understandable. But there are many other reasons women opt to get breast implants:
- Looking better with, and without your clothes. Yes, both are important. There are many women who have issues when buying bras, tops, (especially strapless tops) and clingy, sexy dresses. Breast augmentation is a glorious procedure as women can actually get the size they’ve always wanted and those clothing problems are history. What about looking good naked? I think this point is pretty clear. (regardless of age).
- Increasing positive self-image perception: we all know we have to love ourselves the way we are, period. We are unique and perfect already, and that is something that women considering breast augmentation need to understand before even going to the procedure. So first, you have to love yourself, and realize that a breast augmentation can improve physically the beauty you already own. When we feel in our best we increase our self-esteem and of course, our perception of our image and gain high confidence in the way.
- Recovering your breast appearance after pregnancy: it’s no secret that having birth can reduce dramatically the breast size and cause breast to sag. With breast augmentation you can recover the way your breasts looked before the pregnancy and even look way better than before!
- Looking younger as with time: breasts tend to sag: gravity acts up on your breasts with time and make them look saggy and even size changes, so definitely breast augmentation can make older women look and feel younger.
- Correcting uneven breasts: our body is full of asymmetries and breasts are no exception. However, there are women in which this asymmetry is quite notorious. This procedure can be completely personalized to each patient and place different implant sizes so this asymmetry can be reduced.
You might have reasons that aren’t listed here. Which is more than OK.
Different Boobs, Different Boob Jobs
Breasts come in all shapes and sizes. Let’s look at a few:
- Asymmetric: one breast is larger than the other; ranges from minor (barely noticeable) to more pronounced
- Bell shape: generally heavier breasts; narrower at the top, then drastically fuller toward the bottom
- East west: a gentle slope from top to bottom, but out to the sides; nipples point in opposite directions
- Side set: a wide space in between the two breasts; nipples point a little more forward than east west
- Slender: a little wider at the top, narrower at the bottom; generally skinny without a lot of breast tissue
- Tear drop: similar to bell shape but with a much gentler slope; easily identifiable from the side
- Round: equally full on top and bottom; often surgically enhanced, but not always
Because of the huge variation and because of each woman’s desire to do something about the pair she was born with, there are a variety of options to achieve each individual goal. There are many types of implants, but let’s look at two of the most popular:
- Saline breast implants: saline breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. Should the implant shell leak, a saline implant will collapse and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body. Saline breast implants provide a uniform shape, firmness and feel, and are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older.
- Silicone implants: silicone breast implants are filled with silicone gel. The gel feels a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell, or may escape into the breast implant pocket. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse. Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older. Many…many…years ago, some people thought they caused auto-immune and other problems. But those claims have long since been discarded.
Implanting Some Knowledge About Boob Jobs
You know you want a boob job, but here are a few things to consider first:
- Your first breast surgery probably won’t be your last.
Twenty-five percent of women will need another surgery after 10 years because implants don’t last forever. The implant could begin to leak over time or a “scar shell” could develop around it, warping the shape and causing a need for new implants. Weight loss, pregnancy, and change in preference are other factors that could lead the patient to having another surgery after a few years.
- You can’t go from small to huge all at once.
If you’re starting with a small a cup, don’t expect to go up to a DD cup in one procedure. It’s important to set realistic goals. Your body and skin need time to adjust to drastic changes, so a surgeon will likely suggest going up only a couple cup sizes at first, then increasing the implant size over the course of a few years
- You and your surgeon will decide together which incision choice is best for you
Underarm incision, incision in the crease of the breast (inframammary fold), or through removal of the areola. Your doctor will take into consideration your beginning breast size and shape, breast tissue, and a number of other factors before recommending which options are best for you and your body.
- Although you can start doing light cardio again after a week, most women will need to limit their exercise for up to 12 weeks.
- When you first get them they’re huge & feel too big. You think “oh no I went too big.”
- If your nipples are large, expect your nipples to look larger because they’re being stretched.
- Right after surgery, some women experience some regret or depression over getting breast implants. This is called the boobie blues, and it typically lasts about 2 days. It’s perfectly normal and something you should be aware about so you don’t freak out after your procedure.
And this is a huge thing to remember:
Surgery won’t fix insecurity.
Ensure Your Boob Job Won’t Be A Bust
Do your homework. Ask around. Get referrals. Get more than one consultation if you want. But we can’t stress this enough; selecting the right surgeon is the most important part of this process. In the Denver area, you don’t have to look any farther than board-certified Dr. Thomas A. Narsete. His experience in performing breast enhancement surgery is unsurpassed, as are his skill and knowledge of what is right for each individual patient. The minute you meet with him, you’ll feel a sense of confidence in moving forward. Dr. Narsete will spend time listening to your concerns and what outcome you hope to achieve. But you can also expect honesty. He will tell you what he thinks will be realistic depending on such things as your size and body frame. With Dr. Narsete, it’s not a matter of “go big or go home”. It’s a matter of giving you soft, natural results you’ll be over-the-moon with. Thinking of getting a boob job? Make an appointment with Dr. Narsete now.